Registering yourself to use a drone or model aircraft
Register and take the test to fly
Use this service to:
- take the theory test to get a flyer ID
- register for an operator ID if you also own or are responsible for a drone or model aircraft
Taking the theory test
It's a good idea to make sure you prepare for the theory test.
We recommend reading The Drone and Model Aircraft Code before you start.
The test has 20 multiple choice questions and you should allow at least 20 minutes to complete the test.
You can take the test as many times as you like.
Being responsible for drones
Anyone that owns or is responsible for a drone or model aircraft must register to get an operator ID.
Some examples of situations where you need an operator ID:
- you own a drone or model aircraft
- you're the adult responsible for an under 18 who owns a drone or model aircraft
- you're responsible for a drone or model aircraft that someone else will fly
What you'll need:
- an email address that you can check during your application
- a debit or credit card if you're registering for an operator ID
|How you use drones or model aircraft||ID numbers needed||Cost|
|You both fly and are responsible for them||flyer ID and operator ID||£9|
|You just fly other people's||flyer ID||£0|
|You’re only responsible and do not fly||operator ID||£9|
Help with this service
Drone and Model Aircraft Registration Team
Telephone: 0330 022 9930
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm