Terms and conditions
These terms explain how you may use this flying drones and model aircraft website.
You should read these terms carefully before using the website.
By accessing or using the website, or otherwise indicating your consent, you agree to be bound by these terms and the documents referred to in them.
If you do not agree with or accept any of these terms, you should stop using the website immediately.
If you would like any help using the website, please contact us
Who we are
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is responsible for issuing drone and model aircraft operator IDs and flyer IDs.
The rest of these terms refer to the CAA as we, us or our.
|flyer ID||is proof of successful completion of the online training for remote pilots in Open sub-categories A1 and A3.|
|operator ID||is a certificate of registration as an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) operator. In the rest of these terms and elsewhere in our service, we describe operating a UAS as owning or being responsible for a drone or model aircraft.|
|terms||means these terms and conditions.|
|website||means the website at register-drones.caa.co.uk and all associated web pages.|
|we, us or our||means the Civil Aviation Authority whose head office is at Aviation House, Gatwick Airport South, West Sussex RH6 0YR|
|you or your||means the person accessing or using this website or its content.|
By applying for a flyer ID, you agree to do the following:
- follow the Drone and Model Aircraft Code and fly safely and legally
- make sure that you have the right authorisation for the type of flying you intend to do
- check that any drone or model aircraft that requires an operator ID is labelled with a valid operator ID before you fly it
- keep the content of the test confidential and not share it by any means
By applying for an operator ID, you confirm that all those directly involved in the operations will be competent to perform their tasks, and the unmanned aircraft system will be operated only by remote pilots with the appropriate level of competency. This means you will:
- meet all legal requirements for being responsible for a drone or model aircraft
- display your operator ID on any drone or model aircraft you’re responsible for that requires an operator ID
- only allow people with the appropriate authorisation, such as a valid flyer ID, to fly any drones or model aircraft you’re responsible for
If, at any time, you fail to follow any of the conditions listed in this section, we may revoke or suspend your operator ID and/or flyer ID.
We will not usually provide refunds for operator IDs, but may consider refunds in exceptional circumstances at our discretion.
Flyer IDs and operator IDs
Flyer IDs and operator IDs are only valid:
- until the specified date, unless revoked or suspended.
- for the person or organisation they are issued to
Accuracy of information and availability of the website
While we try to make sure this website is accurate, up to date and free from bugs, we cannot promise that it will be.
We may suspend or terminate operation of the website at any time as we see fit.
While we try to make sure the website is available for your use, we do not promise that it will be available at all times. Nor do we promise uninterrupted use of the website.
Your privacy and personal information are important to us.
Any personal information you provide to us will be dealt with in accordance with our privacy notice.
The notice explains:
- what information we collect from you
- how and why we collect, store, use and share your information
- your rights in relation to your information
- how to contact us if you have a query or complaint about the use of your information
Your data will be used and shared in accordance with our privacy notice.
These terms are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
Any dispute you have which relates to these terms, or your use of this service (whether it be contractual or non-contractual), will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Rights of third parties
No one other than a party to these terms has any right to enforce any of these terms.
Limitation on our liability
Except for any legal responsibility that we cannot exclude in law (such as for death or personal injury) or arising under applicable laws relating to the protection of your personal information, we are not legally responsible for any of the following losses:
- losses not foreseeable to you and us when these terms were formed
- losses not caused by any breach on our part
- business losses
- losses to non-consumers
Events beyond our control
We shall have no liability to you for any breach of these terms caused by any event or circumstance beyond our reasonable control including, but not limited to:
- strikes, lock-outs or other industrial disputes
- breakdown of systems or network access
- flood, fire, explosion or accident
Changes to these terms
Please check these terms regularly. We can update them at any time without notice.
Last updated: May 2023