Getting a flyer ID before you fly (points 26 to 29)
26. You must pass the CAA’s official online theory test to get a flyer ID
Children and adults must pass the test – there is no age limit.
For data protection reasons, children under 13 must be with a parent or guardian when they take the test and register.
27. Children under 12 must be supervised when they fly a drone or model aircraft
The person that supervises them must be aged 16 or over and have their own valid flyer ID.
Exceptions for C0 class toys and privately-built aircraft below 250g
Children under 12 do not need to be supervised when flying either:
- a toy drone or model aircraft that is marked as C0 class
- a privately-built drone or model aircraft below 250g
28. You must pass the theory test every five years
Your flyer ID will last for five years.
If you took your last test under the previous regulations, that flyer ID will last for three years. You can check when your ID expires in the My registration area.
29. Always fly safely and legally
Following the points in this Code will help you to do this.